App Restriction

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Miaka_M, May 7, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

One thing that really upsets me when using my ipad are the app restrictions. Sometimes there is a really neat app that I hear about and I would love to have but I go to download it and I get a message that says that the app is not available where I live. Does this only bother me, or others as well?

2. Loading...

3. sweetkymom

sweetkymom New Member

I've not come across any restrictions on apps that I've wanted and downloaded. If I was to come across one and I really wanted to download it, yes, I'd be upset too!! I have multiple different devices so I'm sure I'd manage on one of them, though.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, it is very upsetting. I know of some cash back apps that I wanted to try, I think one is something along the lines of "hog cash" or something like that. What you do is take pictures of your grocery receipts and upload it on the app, you then get points that can be exchanged for cash. Unfortunately when I tried downloading it, its not available for my country. It would've been great to have some extra cash. :(

5. Lamk

Lamk New Member

Indeed. I also encountered this a lot. Hence, why I prefer android. I'm stuck with my iPad for academic reasons but if I had a choice I would've invested the money in a new android phones instead, or maybe a tablet even.

6. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Android market may have more apps than Apple store, but I believe it doesn't has anything to do with a specific app availability! Apps to make money are some time good for a only a few countries. The one she mentioned is one of these case. The app won't work in her country, not because she has an apple phone. Even if she has an Android phone, the app still will not available in her countries, because there are no shop in that specific country that worked with the app developers.

7. Mongoose87

Mongoose87 New Member

I know the app your talking about, its called ReceiptHog. I am in the USA and it worked for me, but I did have trouble at first, I downloaded it but then kept getting an error that it would not fully load. I deleted it and restarted my phone. I did have to clear off things on my phone, I never really cared or noticed all the files that were saved on my phone. However that did the trick, it loaded just fine after all that.
    As for the app, I am on the fence about it, I've had the app for about 2 months, its very simple, all you do is take pics of the receipt and then rate it on a 5 star scale. It works on almost all receipt, but not food related establishments. I tried Panera and a few other places. On the flip side it does work at gas stations like Racetrac or Wawa. The app doesn't tell you about limits either, you have a max on grocery receipts and once you hit that max you can't get credit or "spins" (you can earn extra points if you play the side game, which is like a vegas slot machine). If you shop consistently or work at a store where people don't take their receipts it might be worth your wild. I am still using it, but it takes awhile to earn enough points the "cash out" The goal is to get 100 points a week, each place gives you different rewards, gamestop earns you spins, while samsclub and publixs give you 5-10 points, and target and Walmart give you about 5 points depending on items and what you spend, but you don't know since its never listed. The pay out rate is 1000 points equal $5, 1800= $10, 3200= $20, and 4500= $30. Your options are either paypal or amazon credit.

8. Mongoose87

Mongoose87 New Member

Android market is more user friendly in my opinion. I have both phones thanks to work, my personal one is an Android and my work phone is an iphone5. Between the 2 I have found that I can get certain apps on one that I can't on the other. Awhile ago Angrybirds use to be only on the iphone. Same with words with friends, now you can get majority of apps on both. However there are still apps out there like Showbox which requires iphone users to have to "jail break" their phones, where the android is more open. More options for independent developers who are testing out their apps.

9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I agree with you completely about Android is more open! My daughter has one, and she was able to find many apps that she could make some money from, and when she introduced them to me (I have an iPhone 5 also), they are not available in the App Store. Bummer! My iPhone is factory unlocked, not sure if it is the same thing as "Jail Break" but I know once you did that, you can run into all sorts of problem.

10. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have had this happen to me before. All you have to do is look at the top of the store. There should be a tab that says iPad only, click on that. Then you should be able to click on iPhone only. You will be able to see all the iPhone apps that you can't get on your iPad. I don't know why Apple makes it that way, because it's actually quite annoying that they do that.

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think @IcyBC is correct, the apps are being restricted by the company it's associated with, not by Apple or device. Unfortunately, many companies that are located in certain countries tend to restrict users to that country. Hopefully someone in your country will create something similar, or existing companies will open up the registration to include where you live.

IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I came across couple of apps just like what you said, and that I can get on the iPad but not the iPhone. Who knows, it could be the developers especially designed the app for certain devices to keep track of what is more popular, more download. I believe if the apps are not from Apple, they have nothing to do with it. However, if it is their app and they do this, I think it's just annoying!

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@IcyBC Yeah, I have come across it all the time and it's quite annoying. I never understood why they would want to do that, but what you just said makes sense. They would be able to keep track of how many people are downloading it better that way. It is super annoying like you said, I wish that they would change that. I know that APple isn't involved which is why the people who create them should change how they develop them!