Anonymous Posters

Diane Lane

Recognized Member
Recognized Member
When you view a thread (anywhere, not just here) with all posts from Anonymous posters, do you think the person is simply talking to and replying to him/herself? I just read one and it made me laugh, because that's how it seemed, so I thought I'd ask y'all. :);):p:D

Susimi

Recognized Member
Recognized Member
It most probably is if you think about it.

But what if we all one person posting? What if I/you/we've made a ton of different accounts and am posting & replying to ourselves?

joshposh

Recognized Member
Recognized Member
Would that get picked up on the admins of the site? I use to run my own site and would see all of the IP address and ban people regularly for doing that kind of stuff. Best way to set it up is to have everyone sign in as a member just to see content and leave a message or comment. That way you can boost your own thread.

Kyler

Staff member
I think it does exist a lot, it could be spammers and people who are bored and don't have much to do though. It's a weird concept that they would spend their time actually doing that, that's very sad in deed, lol.

I do believe people reply to their own posts regularly, especially on forums such as these. I used to do it in order to increase traffic on a particular website, and because I have done it, I know that there are others who are doing the exact same.

MikeOh

It's really funny to see those threads. And somehow, it's pretty obvious. I don't have that much knowledge on forums but does the administrator have capabilities to see it and ban them?

Yosh

It most probably is if you think about it.

But what if we all one person posting? What if I/you/we've made a ton of different accounts and am posting & replying to ourselves?
OH. MY. GOD.
Are you me? AM I you? Who are we all?

That'd be one heck of a conspiracy though

Diane Lane

Recognized Member
Recognized Member
I can see the point in some cases, but that one thread was pretty strange, as in how did the poster know the other poster's name, when it wasn't shown, etc.

I tweet and retweet my shop links on my various accounts, but that's pretty common on Twitter, and probably on other social media sites, as well. Most people know they're all me, and I mainly use that tactic so I can switch hashtags around and get my products seen.

Kyler

Staff member
I can see the point in some cases, but that one thread was pretty strange, as in how did the poster know the other poster's name, when it wasn't shown, etc.

I tweet and retweet my shop links on my various accounts, but that's pretty common on Twitter, and probably on other social media sites, as well. Most people know they're all me, and I mainly use that tactic so I can switch hashtags around and get my products seen.
Absolutely. One thing though, these people could do it for their laugh, or I'm not sure what goes on their heads!

Se7en

It's really funny to see those threads. And somehow, it's pretty obvious. I don't have that much knowledge on forums but does the administrator have capabilities to see it and ban them?
Yes, he can check IP addresses of posters.

dyanmarie25

Recognized Member
Recognized Member
Probably because that "anonymous" poster just badly want to discuss that certain topic, and to engage other posters, he/she keeps replying to that post.

theGIJST

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but it certainly is weird. Yesterday, when I was looking at the forum, I saw that one of the posts have been replied by someone from 2056, or something like that. Someone from the future has replied to one of the threads. However, when I open the thread, the post isn't there and the name of the guy who posted it from the future, isn't clickable.