Amazon Has Lost More Than $170 Million on Fire Phone

Discussion in 'Other Android Phones' started by teamxxlp, May 9, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

A few months ago, Amazon wrote down $170 million on its books because of losses due to the Fire Phone's failures. So that means the company has lost NO LESS than $170 million, and the losses are more than likely a few dozen million more than that. If anyone thought the Fire Phone was a good idea, then there's your rebuke.

2. Loading...

3. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Glad to know this as one time in the past year, I was consider getting the Amazon Fire Phone when my service provider doesn't offer contract anymore, and paying all at once for a phone was a lot for me to do at the time. Amazon lost the money and they can write it off, but if we lost money, where can we write off? :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

It's still a decent phone for consumers, but it's an utter failure for Amazon. You'd be all right purchasing it, despite some shortcomings, but no amount of purchases will help Amazon recover from that loss anytime soon. If the company had smartphone ambitions beyond the device, then I'm sure those plans are moot at this point.

5. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's an unbelievable amount of money for a company to lose. I think that Amazon did even worse mistakes in the past where it allowed glitches and vulnerabilities to allow people buying thousands of dollars worth of items for only one cent. That's just crazy. I wonder though, what caused it to fail, couldn't it be tested enough before they actually put the product on sale? I don't know. After all, that's alright, I'm sure they will stay on their feet and move on.

6. theGIJST

theGIJST New Member

I'm sorry, I don't really know what happened here. I know that Amazon was selling the Fire phone, but why did it lose so much money? What happened? What made them lose that much money?

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If you still want the Amazon Fire, look for deals like I posted the other day, where they were selling one for $149, and offering a free year of Prime to go along with it - that's basically getting the phone for $49. The deal I posted was just one day, but if you click the link, it might bring you to some other deals. If you can't are interested and can't find it, it's under my content here on this forum.

IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@Diane Lane I will when my internet comes back! Right now, I am working from my phone's hotspot and it is a pain! I will look into it a little more as it sounds like a great deal. Amazon Prime is around $100 dollars a year, so that is one big saving.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@IcyBC I'm sure it is a pain, but at least you can get connected! Hopefully by the time your internet is back, and you can look into getting a nice phone, you'll find some great deals!