Always On VPN eats battery

Discussion in 'HTC' started by JoshK, Jul 13, 2015.

1. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've noticed that since I've had this phone, whenever I use the phone's Always On VPN feature, it eats up the battery very quickly compared to if I just use the VPN app I've got.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this or maybe has a solution? I'd ideally like to have my VPN Always On but it would mean sacrificing the battery life which I don't think would be the best thing to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have aa solution.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2. Loading...

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, it happened to me too when I was testing the HTC One M9 but I never found a solution since I just turned the feature off. I suggest you get in touch with HTC and talk about this, maybe they'll be able to help you! :D

4. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It just seems very bizarre why this would happen? I know there is a new update for lollipop coming out soon so I might try that first and see if that will make any difference as the update apparently contains battery life improvements

5. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Thought I'd provide an update, I spoke to HT who advised doing a soft reset so I've done that and I've got VPN Always on so I'm trying that nkw but it's to soon for me to say whether it's worked or not.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Has the battery life increased when you use this feature? Update us so other people can know what the solution is! :D

7. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Well It improved only very slightly. I left my phone on last night with this feature on and it was on 100%, by the morning it was down to 50% which seems like it still eating battery, usually at night my phone would only go down to 80%. I've contacted HTC who have opened a ticket with their support team and have suggested doing a factory restart which I'm doing now (Which I don't think we do anything) and if that doesn't work then look at getting their team to look at the phone.

8. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yet another update to this. HTC recommend a factory reset which I did and it has made no difference at all so they have suggested that I send it to them to investigate which I'm not going to do because I'll be left without a phone and I don't believe it is a phone fault, I believe it is a software fault over anything else.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

That's pretty rough! Sorry to hear about that. Maybe the newest versions of Android will solve this issue. Do you have 5.1 on your M9 yet?

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

While the problem still hadn't been fixed, I have to say that HTC customer care is usually pretty good and it does sound like they are at least trying to help and look into the issue.

Like I said, even though it's not fixed, the help you've got is probably a lot more than what your get from other companies such as Apple for one.

11. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It's a bit of a pain having to open up the VPN providers app to connect every few hours where as with VPN-Always-On I could, just always have it on but it's a battery problem! No 5.1 update yet. I own my phone and not on contract so not sure when I will expect to have it.

It is indeed very useful that they have a good customer support team. But I think they may think it is a fault with the phone where as I think it's more to do with the software than anything.