A sad state of affairs...

Discussion in 'Other Android Phones' started by pwarbi, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

BlackBerry used to be a market leader and the first name on anybody's lips when it came to buying a smart device. Businesses aswell as personal customers saw BlackBerry at the top of the pile when it came to smartphone technology. so where did it all go wrong?

While there's no doubt that the competition, with vast budgets to spend aimed their smartphone devices directly at the market BlackBerry had already cornered, cutting their dominance seemingly over night, what's the real reason that what was once the pinnacle of smartphone technology, is now on the verge of disappearing forever?

Can BlackBerry fight back? Do you still own and use the devices or is it now already confined to the history books?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

BlackBerry failed to make a challenging OS, and the urge to stick with physical keyboards didn't retain enough of the user base. The company could have slowed its descent by adopting Android and sticking with its business-centric game plan. Then again, other companies like Apple started taking over in the business sphere, which all but guaranteed that BlackBerry would sink. The company is far from gone, but its next couple smartphones are going to have to bring something new to the table, at least for Blackberry if not new to smartphones in general. BlackBerry is returning to its business roots with its latest device, so we'll see.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

You mention the physical keyboard. For many people, including myself, I think that was the only decent feature when it came to phones such as the bold etc.

I've owned a couple of BlackBerry's over the years and to be honest I didn't find them bad phones. Just the competition surpassed them and in their haste to try and catch up they released phones such as the Z10. Not only did it dump the BlackBerry's famous physical qwerty keyboard, it also offered people a brand new OS that was bug ridden to say the least.

I think BlackBerry can keep on going as a company, but maybe not as a smartphone manufacturer for much longer, which is a shame.

5. vegito12

vegito12 New Member

I think as new competition appeared, than they were not getting as many sales as before and most people today want touchscreen phones and also ones which are easy to use as well. I think Blackberrry needs to move to touchscreen ones like Android and make phones which are upto date with the latest technology as that is what most people want now in these times. So their next phones should be good, and may get good revenue and also may get customers as well and do well again will have to see how it goes.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I used to own 2 blackberries, but ever since newer phones had come out with a lot better features, I've neglected them. Personally, I don't think that blackberry will be able to fight back because they will be up against companies like Apple and Samsung who are the current leads and there is no way to catch them. Unless they bring about a never before seen feature and look, they will be behind the pack I think.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think BlackBerry might have to concentrate in getting back their business clients first. Try and corner one part of the market and start from scratch.

As you say, for BlackBerry to compete at the top level again they will have to bring out something truely phenomenal and at the moment I don't think they have the resources to do that.

8. leovew

leovew New Member

I've owned 2 blackberries way back and I should say they weren't bad phones, it's just that they always lacked an extra oomph. I agree with what the others have noticed, that other companies seem to outdo blackberry's innovations. When I need a strictly business phone, then blackberry does the job. But since the use of phone of our generation has integrated both personal and professional use, then blackberry would definitely fall short.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The devices aren't that bad, the physical keyboard in my opinion still beats any touchscreen keyboard, it's just the OS that was lacking. People wanted more from their phones, and while BlackBerry did everything it could, they just didn't have enough finances to compete with the like of Samsung and Apple.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I tried a friend's Blackberry, and the screen was too small, in my opinion, and so was the keyboard. That's probably because I've been using a touchscreen keyboard for ages, though, and it felt retro, but not in a good way. I have 2 friends who love their Blackberries, and I think it would be sad to see them go under. I was actually sort of surprised to see that the Kardashians all seem to use Blackberries, and thought they must have had a sponsorship, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I hope the company is able to pull off a comeback. Competition is good, in my opinion, and keeps other companies on their toes.

IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I used to want to have the Blackberry when it first came out. At that time, it had the keyboard that I found very useful, easy, and wonderful for texting. Before getting my iPhone, I was thinking of getting the Blackberry, but it was still too expensive. It used to be a hot device!

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

BlackBerry used to be the market leader so I guess in a way it just shows how far and how quickly, the market as progressed. Hopefully what happened to BlackBerry will be a warning to manufacturer's now not to take things easy and rest on their laurels.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My niece had the Blackberry first when it first come out and I played with it every time I see her :) It was the smart hot phone but I couldn't afford to get it. I ended up with a Sony Expess or something like that, and it was wonderful for what it could do; still it wasn't as nice as the Blackberry. Nowadays, the Blackberry is slowly diminishing, and Apple and Samsung are on the rise.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, and maybe the Windows phone makers, as well. The Blackberry does have a certain cache about it, but I prefer the larger screen. When I had my HTC smart phones, they had touch screens, but also had a stylus and slide out keyboard, which I really liked. Even though I usually used the touch screen, I still enjoyed having the option to use the real keyboard, but without it taking up half the screen.

IcyBC likes this.
  15. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@Diane Lane When my children bought the iPad for me; they also bought a case with keyboard for it! I love having the real keyboard, and I deserved it :) It was a gift that include "my birthday, mother's day, and Christmas"!

I dislike the touch keyboard taking up half of the screen too on my iPad!

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I used to own a blackberry curve phone. I actually loved it and used ot for a while. Back then, I do not frequently use the internet. I use a laptop to do my research or school needs. The blackberry phone was perfect for me just for texting and calling. I loved its simplistic design. However, my needs have changed and sadly, the blackberry has not adapted to it. I do hope they make a comeback and manufacture smartphones that can compete with the market these days.