Shortly after a new game is introduced in the market and becomes very popular, the company that has developed it starts working towards bringing a ‘lite’ version of it to the consumers. There is an important reason behind many companies (and not just gaming companies) making it a point to launch the ‘lite’ version of their apps or software products. They wish to reach out to the markets which do not have access to high-speed internet or suffer from a low-bandwidth network.
PUBG and PUBG Lite
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds or PUBG, as it is widely known, is a game that was launched by the company PUBG Corporation in December 2017. The online multi-player game became enormously popular in no time and became a rage worldwide.
It was launched across a wide variety of platforms and to make it further accessible, the company launched PUBG Lite, a toned-down or lighter version of the game that did not consume as much data as the original game. Those who owned lower-end laptops, PCs, smartphones or residing in areas with limited internet connectivity benefited greatly from this move. PUBG Lite became quite popular and managed to achieve all that the company had in mind while launching it.
Why is PUBG Lite Discontinued?
It comes as a surprise to know that the company has decided to pull the plug on it and get it withdrawn from all platforms by the end of this month. A confirmation about the same has come from Krafton, the publisher of the game. The official announcement about the shutting down of PUBG Lite can be read on Krafton’s official website. Interestingly, no reason has been stated for the same in the published note. The note states that PUBG Lite will not be available for downloading purposes from March 30 and the remaining services would cease to exist by April 29, 2021.
Here is what the published note stated:
Possible Reasons Why PUBG Lite was Discontinued
The real reason behind shutting down PUBG Lite remains a mystery as neither the publisher has offered any explanation nor has fans been able to arrive at a conclusion. In Thailand, PUBG Lite was introduced in its beta version in January 2019. The initial response was quite good and Krafton’s efforts towards making it more accessible garnered praise. Last year in November, Krafton even made it a free-to-play game by doing away with the in-game currency.
Several threads have been created in online forums such as reddit where gamers discuss the possible reasons why the game has been discontinued. Here are a few of them.
- While the lite version of the game was popular, it did not scale the kind of heights its publisher would have expected it to.
- PUBG Steam is believed to be the main reason why PUBG Lite was stopped. That’s because PUBG Steam hasn’t been performing of late and PUBG Lite could have contributed towards this.
- PUBG Lite probably needed a lot more attention and the company didn’t want to allocate a lot of resources as it’s not worth the efforts.
- PUBG Steam is available for free during the weekend. The company didn’t want to have 2 free PUBG games.
- The development of the game was stopped more than a year ago and it was quite evident that this was coming.
Whether the lite version is re-introduced in the future or not, that is something time will tell.