If the camera on your MacBook is not working, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is a hardware-related issue. Before contacting Apple or visiting one of their stores, you can try the potential solutions we are going to list below. Let’s see what to try when the MacBook camera not working.
Things to do when MacBook camera not working
There are several things to try, and we are going to list them all below.
Restart your MacBook
When you have some issue with your MacBook, including the camera-related ones, restart it first. Glitches are normal, and most of the time, a simple restart can fix a variety of issues. So, before going any further, try this because it may fix a problem and the camera may start working again.
If the camera is not working when you are using a specific app, you must make sure the app has permission to use the camera. Here is how to check that:
- Click on the Apple menu and then go to System Preferences
- Click Security & Privacy
- Now click the Privacy tab
- Click Camera
- You will see the list of apps there
- Give the apps permission by checking the ones you want.
Screen time restrictions
Many times, it turned out that screen restrictions were the ones to blame. Here is what you should do:
- Click on the Apple menu
- Go to System Preferences
- Click Screen Time
- Click Content & Privacy
- Now click Apps
- The checkbox for the camera should be selected, so if it is not, enable it.
The next thing is to check if there is a software update. To update the software on your MacBook, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Apple menu and go to System Preferences and then click Software Update
- If there is a new version, click Upgrade Now.
When having some issues on your MacBook or Mac, and it seems like you can’t get rid of the problem, you can reset SMC (system management controller). If you have never done it before, or you are not sure how to do it, click on this link.