What to do when iPhone touch screen stops working or the screen of your new iPad? As we know, Apple brought many innovations that have changed the smartphone and tablet world ever since the first release. One of them is the touchscreen. Before Apple’s phenomenal smartphone came, a touch screen was not so popular. The iPhone and iPad users depend on the touchscreen most of the time, and any issue with the screen spoils the fun. How to fix the touch screen on my iPhone or iPad is a pretty common question. Before you decide to contact the Genius Bar or visit Apple Authorized Service Provider, you can try to fix it by yourself. We will provide you with some potential solutions to fix iPhone or iPad touch screen issues.
See also: How To Fix iPhone Wi-Fi Issues
What Causes The iPhone/iPad Touch Screen Issues
One of the most annoying issues is when the touchscreen not responding.
In many cases, these touchscreen issues are software-related. But, it can be also associated with display hardware assembly with the front camera. If it is caused by Software, you can fix it by yourself with the steps we are going to share with a small risk. If it comes to hardware, we suggest you to contact Apple or visit one of their stores.
Solutions For iPhone / iPad Touch Screen Issues
Before you start:
We recommend you to do these steps before performing the troubleshoot on your iPhone or iPad.
- Make sure you backup your iPhone or iPad because some steps can make you lose your iPhone data.
- After you try all software-related steps and the issue is still there, check your iPhone / iPad warranty card. If your iPhone is still covered by the warranty, you have a full right to contact Apple Care or Genius Bar or go to the nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider to report your iPhone touch screen issues and claim the warranty. It’s important to claim the warranty before you do the hardware troubleshot because Apple will refuse it.
Note: Make sure your fingers are clean and dry when using your iPhone because the screen may not respond due to moisture or dirt.
Subscribe to our website : Technobezz
Clean the iPhone / iPad screen
Here are some tips on how to clean iPhone screen properly:
- Unplug your iPhone from the power source and switch it off before you clean the iPhone screen to avoid a permanent damage.
- Use a microfiber cloth, the soft one, or a lint-free cloth. Don’t use a towel or something that can scratch the screen.
- Don’t spray the cleaners directly to the iPhone screen. You can spray it on the cloth instead and wipe it gently.
- Don’t press the screen too hard.
Remove screen protector or case
If your use a case or screen protector, remove it. If the quality of these accessories is not good, the touch of your fingers won’t be detected by the iPhone. After you remove them, try to touch your iPhone screen and see if the issue is solved.
Charge iPhone / iPad using the original charger
Try to charge your iPhone using its original charger and cable. Any Apple accessories that are not original or the ones that don’t have an MFI certificate are potentially destructive. MFI is abbreviation of Made For iPhone/iPad/iPod. MFI program is a licensing program from Apple that is addressed to developers of hardware and software peripherals. After charging your iPhone with the original cable and charger, test the touchscreen and see how it responds.
Restart iPhone / iPad
Before we go to the deeper troubleshoot, we are going to try this solution first. It’s among the basic ones.
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button for a few seconds until the slider appears.
- Then, slide the “Slide to power off”.
- After your iPhone off, wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Turn it back on by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button until you see the Apple logo.
If the screen is completely unresponsive, you won’t be able to restart it by pressing the sleep/wake button and dragging the slider. In that case, what to do? How to fix iPhone screen that won’t work at all? Go for a force restart. Here is how to do that:
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button together with the Home button for at least 10 seconds until you can see the Apple logo
- Let the restarting process to complete.
- After it’s done, see if the touchscreen issue is solved.
Update, reinstall or delete the app
This solution may work for iPhone touch screen issues that occur when you are using a specific app. To resolve it, try to update first:
- Go to App Store
- Tap the update tab and find the application you need to update
- Click Update
If the problems still appear, try to reinstall the app. Make sure you have understood the risk of deleting that app. You can check this information on their official website. To reinstall the app, all you have to do is removing it and re-download it at the App Store.
- On your iPhone or iPad home screen, tap and hold the app icon until it jiggles
- Tap the “x” sign on the top-right corner of the app
- The popup message will appear, then tap “Delete”
- Return to the App Store, then, find and re-download that app.
If updating and reinstalling didn’t fix the issue, you should delete that app and find the similar app as the other option.
Subscribe to our website : Technobezz
Reset all settings or erase all contents and settings
This can be done only if the screen responds slowly. In this case, the iPad or iPhone touch screen is still working but its respond is slower than it should.
Steps to reset all settings
- Open Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset All Settings
- You will be asked to enter the passcode
- Tap Reset All Settings
- Your iPhone or iPad will restart and reset all of its settings
Steps to erase all the contents and settings
- Make sure you have backed up the date before you start
- Open Settings >> General >> Reset >> Erase All Contents and Settings
- Enter your passcode
- Tap Erase iPhone or Erase iPhone and it will reboot
- Setup the iPhone or iPad as a new device
Restore iPhone/iPad to factory settings using iTunes
You can perform this method if your iPhone screen responds slowly. If you are facing the iPhone touch screen not responding completely, you can try the next methods: restore iPhone in recovery mode or DFU more. Otherwise, make sure the iPhone has been synced to the computer that you are going to use for restoring the iPhone/iPad. To restore your iOS device to factory settings, here are the steps:
- Use the lightning cable to connect your iPhone to your computer that has the iTunes installed
- Launch the iTunes
- On the summary tab, click Restore
- Let the restoring process done
- Setup the iPhone or iPad
Restore iOS device in recovery mode or DFU mode
Another thing you may try when the screen of your iPhone is not responding is to put it in recovery mode or DFU mode, then restore iPhone. You may not be too familiar with DFU mode. You usually hear it if you want to jailbreak your iPhone. DFU is the abbreviation of Device Firmware Update, a condition in which the iPhone cannot load iOS or bootloader but can be detected by iTunes. This mode is useful if you want to downgrade iOS, jailbreak, or unlock you iPhone because it allows you to change and choose the firmware that you want to install on your iPhone. Meanwhile, in recovery mode, we can only upgrade or restore iPhone with the latest iOS and firmware.
Restore your iPhone in recovery mode or DFU mode may resolve iPhone touch screen problems. This issue is one of the commons ones. We got many questions from the iPhone owners, such as how to fix iPhone 6 Plus screen not responding or how to fix iPhone screen that won’t work. These two methods solved the problem for quite a few iPhone users.
How to restore iPhone/iPad with recovery mode
- Plug iPhone to Mac/PC
- Launch iTunes
- Press and hold Power and Home buttons together until the iPhone restarts. Once the Apple logo appears, release the power button but keep pressing the Home button until you see the iTunes and lightning cable signs on your iPhone screen.
How to restore iPhone with DFU mode
- Connect the iPhone to Mac/PC using lightning cable
- Open iTunes
- Hold down the power and home buttons until iPhone restarts
- Let go of the power button but keep holding the home button for about 5 seconds. If the screen remains black, but the iTunes detects your iPhone, you have successfully put your iPhone into DFU mode
- Choose the Restore button.
- Now, iTunes will download a firmware and restore your iPhone to factory settings.
Subscribe to our website : Technobezz
If the touch screen won’t work on iPhone /iPad after water damage
When iPhone 5 was one of the hottest iPhone, many of its users complained about the touch screen issues that occurred once the device got in touch with water. We know that iPhones are not water-resistant and users reporting iPhone 5 touch screen won’t work after water damage was not so surprising.
No matter which iPhone you have, if it got in touch with water you will probably experience the same issue. Here are a few things to try:
- Turn off your iPhone immediately, once you find the touch screen won’t work on iPhone after water damage to prevent additional issues.
- Clean every corner and every hole of your iPhone using the best water absorbent material you can find. Let all the water absorb into the material. You may need to repeat this several times to get all the water out.
- We suggest you to put your iPhone with the left side facing upward to prevent the water enter the logic board on the right side of iPhone.
- After 48 hours, try to turn on you iPhone and see what happens, especially to its touch screen.
What to do if my iPhone /iPad Screen is unresponsive?
Check the discussions on the community, you will find solutions relating to LCD digitizer and other unresponsive claims.
All of the solutions above are found effective to fix iPhone touch screen issues on iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air , iPad mini and iPad Pro.
If you are still facing iPhone touch screen issues, we recommend you to contact Genius Bar or the nearest Apple Authorized Service, Provider.
Discussion on Touchscreen Problems in iPhone
first I am hearing this iPhone 6 touch screen issue. But i am sure these methods will work. If not kindly say so.
Solution 1: Restart your iPhone
Sometimes, your iPhone’s screen becomes unresponsive due to some enclosed applications. Perhaps, you may have opened too many applications and was not able to close it. This causes your screen to freeze and hang no matter how you try to tap it. To solve this problem, restarting your iPhone may help. Most applications close when the phone is switched off. Turn on your phone after 3-5 minutes to completely refresh it. Test if the screen is already working.
Solution 2: Maximize your iPhone’s RAM
Low RAM availability can also cause screens to fail from working. Delete unused applications on your iPhone to maximize RAM then restart your phone to refresh it.
Solution 3: Make a hard reset on your iPhone 6
If fixing calibration doesn’t help, do a hard reset on your iPhone 6. Hard reset helps in turning your phone back to its good condition. Turn off your iPhone 5 > Press Power together with the Home button until it restarts and opens iTunes > wait until your phone is on Restore Mode. An alternative way to do this is to restore your iPhone on factory settings. You have to install the new version of iTunes on your computer and open it. Connect your iPhone 6 on your computer using a USB connector. As soon as iTunes detects your phone, it will be added on the list of devices. Select your phone from the list of devices and open Summary tab. Click restore button. Follow instructions until done. By doing this, a new operating system has been installed which help fix touchscreen problems in iPhone 5.
Solution 4: Realign or replace your phone screen display
If hard reset doesn’t help, physical screen display defects are also the cause of touchscreen problems in iPhone 6. To fix the problem, realigning or replacing the physical screen display could be the solution. This applies effectively especially if you have dropped your phone. Some cables may have loose contacts and you need to attach it well. If the screen is broken, then you have to replace it. For instance you don’t know how to realign or replace your screen, go to an Apple service center and let an expert do the realignment or replacement of the screen.
Touchscreen shat itself after update 10.1 October 2016 ( had worked perfectly up until this time and hadn’t been dropped)
Screen would work for 5-10 seconds then freeze until it timed out
Then would repeat…
Checked all connectors inside of screen
Restored my phone
Factory reset it
put it in the freezer!!
Swore at it, and threatened to upgrade it!!!
My final ditch effort worked (after 3 days of trying everything)
I drained the battery, again
I restarted connected to itunes, again
I deleted all apps using itunes (I’d tried all this 2 days before but no success…)
I waited for it to sync, then shut it down
I started it up still connected to itunes (not sure if this is important )
Fingers and toes and ears and eyes crossed and Woohoo!!!!
This is definitely a problem with the Digitizer. Small White squares along the bottom of the screen can also indicate that the flex cable is not seated correctly. This Cable is the first cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. It’s located at the top of the phone with a horizontal orientation.
1 Remove all the three connectors and reseat them properly
2 Reseat the ribbon cables to the LCD Screen of your IPhone and your small white squares will be gone
3 Reseat the Sensor or camera Flex cable. This requires you to separate the glass from the LCD