iFixit teardown the new Smart Battery Case, which has just been released a few days ago. It’s not a tear down guide, and should not be used as disassembly instructions. Here are some interesting things that they found:
- With some clever ducting, Apple turned the downward-facing speaker into a forward-facing speaker.
- The audiophile in us can’t help but wonder how these changes will affect sound quality.
- Headphone jack connectivity is provided in the form of…a hole. However, for anything bigger, you’ll need some sort of adapter. No fancy studio-size jacks for this pack.
- For you rose golders out there, you’re going to suffer some reduced flashiness, as this case covers most of the shiny metal body.
- The case is bendy above the battery bulge, to allow sliding the phone in and out.
- With 7.13 Whr (1877 mAh at 3.8 V) capacity, this battery more than doubles your iPhone 6s (6.55 Whr) capacity.
Smart Battery repairability 2 out of 10:
- Non-proprietary T3 Torx screws make repairs more accessible, but are covered by strongly-adhered microfiber liner.
- Battery replacement is possible, but will likely destroy the microfiber liner.
- The only possible repair—replacing the battery—is made difficult by very strong adhesive.
- No other repairs are possible without destroying the device.
The Smart Battery Case can give your iPhone 6/6s an additional power up to 25 hours of talk time, 18 hours of Internet use on LTE, and 20 hours of video playback. You can get it for $99 with two color options: white or charcoal gray.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.