There is no better way to bring the magic of the internet to your TV screen than by getting an Apple TV. If you just purchased it, you can find the fact that this little box doesn’t come with the power button a bit confusing and you might be wondering how to turn off your Apple TV. Here, we are going to show you how to put Apple TV to sleep and we are also going to share the steps on how to restart it.
See also: How To Update Apple TV
Steps to put your Apple TV to sleep
When Apple TV is not active for a period of time, it will automatically go to sleep. However, you can put it to sleep yourself using a remote. Here is how you can do that:
- If you own Apple TV 3rd generation or earlier press and hold Play/Pause on the remote for a couple of seconds. Another option is to select Settings > Sleep Now.
- If you own Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K press and hold the Home button on the remote for a couple of seconds. This will open Control Center. Select Sleep. Or select Settings > Sleep Now.
When you want to wake your Apple TV, all you need to do is press the Home or Menu button on the remote control.
How to restart your Apple TV
You may find yourself in a situation where your Apple TV is not responding. You can restart it and here is how:
Do it from Settings:
- If you own Apple TV 3rd generation or earlier go to Settings > General > Restart
- If you own Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K go to Settings > System > Restart.
Do it using the remote control:
- Apple remote – Hold down Down buttons and the menu button. Keep holding them until the light on the Apple TV flashes.
- Siri remote or Apple TV remote- Hold the menu button and the Home button together and keep holding them until the light on the Apple TV flashes.
If the remote or Settings do not respond for some reason, you can restart your Apple TV by unplugging it from power. Wait for a couple of seconds and plug it back in.