If you own an Android device, you will have Google Play Store installed on your Android device. Google Play Store is a preloaded app on almost all Android devices for the installation of apps onto your android device. You can also purchase movies and books from the Play Store. However, there is one annoying default feature on Google Play Store: Autoplaying video previews. While these videos can give tidbits of information, it can be quite troublesome to have videos playing once you hover over the selection. Thus, we will cover how to stop autoplay videos in Google Play Store.
How to stop autoplay videos in Google Play Store
Part 1: Update your Google Play Store
As the setting to disable the auto-play feature is only available for Google Play Store version 17.9.17 and above, you will need to ensure that your Play Store is up to date before proceeding to disable the feature.
- Launch the Google Play Store from the home screen of your Android device. Look for the app icon of a multi-colored triangle within a white background. Tap on this app icon to launch the Google Play Store.
- Once the Google Play Store app has been loaded, click on the menu button to reveal the hidden menu. The icon for the menu is three horizontal lines and can be found beside the search bar on the Apps page of Google Play Store.
- From the menu, select Settings.
- Scroll down across the list of Settings and locate the Play Store version. If the Play Store is up to date, a window will pop-up and inform you that the version you are running on is up to date. If your Play Store needs to be updated, the update will automatically install on your device.
- Launch the Settings up on your android device.
- Select Apps or Apps Manager or Installed Apps depending on the Android device you own.
- Then, click on Google Play Store.
- Tap on Storage and select Clear Storage.
- Restart your device. Wait for 2-3 minutes for the Google Play Store to automatically update itself.
Part 2: Disabling Auto-play feature
- Within the Google Play Store, tap on the menu icon. The icon has three horizontal lines stacked one above another like a hamburger. Tapping on this icon will reveal the menu hidden on the left side of your screen.
- From the menu that appears, tap on Settings. This option has an icon of a single gear beside the name Settings. It should appear towards the bottom of your screen.
- Within Settings, look for General sub-heading. This category of settings will allow you to customize your experience while using Google Play Store.
- Look for Auto-play videos. Tap on this option.
- A new window will appear on your screen. The three options are ‘Auto-play videos at any time’, ‘Auto-play videos over Wi-Fi only’, and ‘Don’t auto-play videos’. If you want to disable the auto-play function completely, tap on the option: Don’t auto-play videos. If you would like to auto-play videos only while using a Wi-Fi network without using mobile data, select the option: Auto-lay videos over Wi-Fi only.
- Once you have selected the option that suits you best, the circle beside the option would be filled with another smaller circle.
- Click on the Done button at the bottom right corner of the pop-up window.
- Relaunch Google Play Store and scroll over a video to see if the option you have chosen has been implemented.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.