Alexa is a virtual assistant designed by Amazon. The device that Alexa usually runs on is Amazon Echo. Lately, Amazon has introduced Alexa on Echo Dot and the Tap. Like Siri and Google Now, Alexa listens to your voice commands to complete simple tasks such as playing an audiobook, creating to-do lists for shopping and even control compatible smart appliances in your home. However, even as Alexa becomes a common addition to our homes, many of us are still unsure of using it. Therefore, here is a guide on how to reset the Alexa device in case you are having trouble with it.
See also: Top best Alexa skills
How to reset Alexa device
Resetting your Alexa device depends on the type of device you own. Depending on the generation and set-up, you may need to use different methods to configure a reset.
Method 1: For devices with volume rings
If your device has a volume ring, you would adjust the volume by turning a moveable part of your device. Follow this method if this applies to your device. This is usually found in the 1st generation of Alexa devices. You will need a paper clip, a safety pin or an equally thin object.
- Look for a small hole at the bottom of your device. This would be the reset button. It is usually located near the wire connection on your device.
- Using the thin object, such as a safety pin, press onto the reset button.
- Observe the color of your light ring. Hold down on the button until the light turns orange. If you are using Echo Plus, you may want to keep the connections between smart appliances and your device. Hence, only press on the reset button once, then quickly release it.
- The orange light indicates that the device is now on a Set-up mode. If you’re using the Alexa app on your mobile device, follow the instructions from the prompting on the application to configure Alexa.
Method 2: For devices with buttons
If you control the volume of your device by pressing the “+” or “–“ button, follow this method. These usually apply to generation 2 and generation 3 of Amazon devices.
- On the part of the device with buttons, search for the mute button. It has the icon of a microphone with a slash through it. Then look for the button to decrease volume. It is the button with the “–“ button.
- Hold down on both buttons until an orange light appears. This means that the device is in set-up mode.
- Follow step 4 from method 1 to set-up Alexa using the app.
Method 3: Using the application to reset
If you are still unsure of which method better suits your device, you can try this method instead.
- From the home page of your smartphone, search for the Alexa application. If you don’t have it, download it from the Appstore or Google Play Store.
- Launch the application.
- Tap the icon on the far right. It should be in the shape of a house with two arrows facing opposite directions.
- Tap on the option labeled Echo and Alexa.
- From the list provided, choose the device that you would like to reset.
- Scroll down until you see the line that says Factory reset. Click on that.
- When a pop-up appears, click on confirm.
Even if your device does not have an issue currently, it is also a good idea to reset it from time to time. This will help to maintain the longevity of the device by giving it some downtime to delete unnecessary storage within the device.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.