When it comes to social media, a good number of people do not like the sound of the word ‘report’. This is because they may have received a message from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and in this case Reddit telling them that they have been pointed out for posting something offensive. This could have even attracted account suspension or even worse, closure.
On Reddit, users are allowed to create communities called subreddits. While some users on Reddit are out to engage peacefully, others go around making trouble. This freedom accorded to users is what makes them tread on very displeasing grounds. It is because of these users that this article has been written. You will learn how to report a subreddit.
See also: How to report a user on Reddit
Reasons for reporting a subreddit
Reddit’s content policy is well spelled out. For Reddit, it is okay to report a subreddit if you feel like its participants are:
- promoting law-breaking (illegality)
- sharing intimate videos or photos of someone without their permission
- promoting child pornography
- encouraging people to engage in violence and cyberbullying
- faking that they are people they are not (impersonation)
- sharing confidential information.
Your reason(s) should be among the ones mentioned above since those are the ones that Reddit Content Policy covers. Nevertheless, the following are steps you should take whenever a subreddit is up to no good.
Notifying the authorities (chuckles)
Before you do this, you need to make sure that the subreddit is truly doing something wrong. It wouldn’t be a good thing is you bore false witness against a subreddit, would it? Take your time and understand the mistake.
There is no button to report a subreddit but you can choose to go for individual posts and comments. However, subreddits can be reported on the ‘Contact Us’ page by following these steps. You should be logged in to your account.
- Click on the Contact Us page. Now, help Reddit answer the question ‘How can we help you?’ by clicking the answer ‘message the admins’.
- For the ‘What’s your issue’ question, answer ‘something else’ then ‘content breaks Reddit rules’.
- You will be directed to the ‘Report’ page for you to make a submission. You either want to report spam/abuse or other issues. Choose either depending on your reason for reporting.
- If you for the ‘other issues’ option, options will be displayed. Make sure you specify what problem the subreddit is causing.
- Depending on your choice, you may be asked to file a complaint. You will then be redirected to the ‘Reddit help’ page to submit a request.
- Fill in the form and submit it.
This should get Reddit to look at the mischievous subreddit and engage with the administrators of the subreddit.
For post or comments on the subreddit
You should make sure that you have joined the subreddit. Then, navigate to a post or a comment.
- On the post or comment, tap on the three vertical (on iOS and Android) or horizontal (on Windows or Mac) dots.
- On the menu that pops up, click on the flag icon labeled ‘Report’.
- Give Reddit the reason why you are making your report and click on ‘Submit’.
You should be okay now
Now, you can rest assured that Reddit will be brought to the attention of your concern. In summary, you can choose to report a subreddit or the posted comments under the subreddit. Reddit will appreciate your concern for wanting its forum to be sanitized and free of the toxic subreddit.