Having been ranked the 19th most visited site in the world, Reddit continues to engage its users in voting up or down on content that is shared. Reddit is very popular among US citizens – they account for 55% of the total number of users.
Reddit is a kind of social media platform but not as complex as Facebook or Twitter. However, you can interact extensively and with lots of people across the world. You enjoy the content posted in communities or even from other platforms such as YouTube and TikTok. In terms of access, Reddit can be used without one needing to sign up or sign in.
Sometimes, circumstances may force you to discontinue your relationship with Reddit. This article will guide you on how to permanently delete your Reddit account.
See also: How to start a thread on Reddit
As you sign up, Reddit asks you to find communities. These communities are also known as subreddits and are based on your interests – be it animals, art, do-it-yourselves (DIY), electronics, foods, gaming, and health among others. Reddit usually says that your engagement in the app will be best if you join at least 5 communities. On Reddit, you have the option to get coins and use them to award posts that are magnificent in particular ways.
Reddit is ad-supported, although you can enjoy an ad-free experience by signing up for a Reddit Premium membership.
Why delete your Reddit account?
Could any of these be the reasons why you want to delete your Reddit account?
- Faced harassment
- Had your account hacked and insults posted on your page
- Read or viewed something offensive
- Wanted to just let Reddit slip from your memory
Reddit has walked controversial steps over the years. It was discovered that the site could be edited and comments made and sent without the user’s knowledge or authorization.
Whatever your reason is, here is the way to delete your account.
The way, the truth, and the Deactivation
You cannot delete your account from your iPhone or Android because it is not enabled on the app. So, all the business that follows is supposed to happen on the website.
- Tap on the ‘Log In’ button at the top-right corner of the website’s home page.
- Then, enter your username and password. You will be redirected to your logged-in profile.
- At the top-right corner of your home page, your avatar and username will be displayed. Tap on that button to display a drop-down menu.
- On the menu that appears, click on the ‘User Settings’ button below ‘My Profile’. Your account’s settings page will be displayed with the ‘Accounts’ tab active.
- Scroll down to the ‘Deactivate Account’ section and click on the red button labeled the same.
- A ‘remorseful’ box will pop up to inform you to contact Reddit if you had a problem.
Also, you will be informed that individual posts and comments will not be deleted with the deactivation of your account. You might want to delete these completely to leave no trace of yourself on the site.
- Before the ‘Deactivate’ button becomes active, you will need to check the box saying that you understand that deactivated accounts cannot be recovered.
- If you are okay, check the box and click the button. Now, you and Reddit are as far from each other as East is from the West.
Easy as pie?
Deactivating your Reddit account shouldn’t strain any of your muscles.
Remember to delete your posts individually before you deactivate your account (if you’re that serious with this).
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.