Hashtags are labels added as captions to images, videos, or text posts. Hashtags have been popularized not only on Instagram but also on TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat. Because of their brevity (shortness), they are easy to create, search, or use.
In 2007, one Chris Messina at the age of 26 invented the hashtag. He proposed using it on Twitter and although it was seen as a nerdish thing, its use exploded that year and was the start of a beautiful label that now brings people together. It is very humbling to know that Messina did not choose to patent the hashtag and make money off it.
This article is going to guide you on how to follow a hashtag on Instagram on both the app (Android and iOS) and the web (instagram.com)
See also: How to increase Instagram story views
And, what are the rewards of following a hashtag?
Following hashtags help users of the Gram to discover new and more people. Also, you increase the chances of more people discovering you.
When you follow this or that hashtag, posts of people you haven’t even followed will start appearing on your home feed. This makes it look like you are part of their followers. Because anyone can use any hashtag, you increase your chances of interacting with more people across the globe.
Also, select Insta stories that have been labeled with the hashtag you follow will appear on your stories’ feed.
Following a hashtag using the app
- Launch the app from your phone’s home screen and make sure that you are logged in.
- You could scroll to a picture or clip you saw the hashtag on to get to it.
- Overlooking step 2, you need to search the hashtag from the search box. When the app opens, tap on the magnifying glass icon.
- Tap on the search box. Below it, tabs will appear.
- Tap on the ‘TAGS’ tab. The search box’s message becomes ‘Search hashtags’.
- Now, enter the tag you want to search and do not include ‘#’.
- When the search results display, tap on the one that you are looking for.
- The screen opens to the tapped hashtags. Videos or images that have used the tag will show under the ‘Top’ tab.
- Next to the icon, tap on the blue ‘Follow’ button. This will switch automatically to ‘Following’. Instagram will display some hashtags that they are suggesting you follow.
Following a hashtag using the website
- Visit Instagram’s website and log in to your account.
- Once your home page opens, click on the search box.
- Unlike in the app where you don’t include the ‘#’ symbol, add it to the tag you want to look up.
If you search it without the symbol, the results displayed will include those of account and places too.
- Once your tag opens, you can click on the ‘Follow’ button to follow it.
You should realize that once you click the icon labeling the hashtag, stories that have used that hashtag will start to display.
Also, a list of related hashtags will be displayed there for you to lookup.
You’re now tied to the tag
The steps should be easy to follow. Once you get that done, you should now wait for people to use those hashtags, and then they will appear on your feeds.
If you connect well, you can draw many people to look at your account and eventually increase the number of your followers.
Good luck as your tag along with that tag!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.