Screen overlay detected error is a problem that may occur on the devices that run Marshmallow Android. It is a common error in many devices such as Vivo, Oneplus, Samsung, Tecno, Lenovo, LG, Oppo, Redmi MI etc. If you find this message “To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off screen overlay from Settings > Apps”, then it is confirmed that your device is a facing a problem with Screen overlay detected error. Though the error is frustrating, you can easily fix it. Here, we are going to show you how to do just that.
See also: How to fix Android won’t download apps
Reboot Safe Mode in Stock Android
This process is applicable to stock android based devices such as Nexus, Moto, LG, Lenovo or HTC etc. Here is how to get rid of the error:
- First, firmly press and hold the power button.
- A message will appear “Reboot to Safe Mode”. This is the permission for safe mode
- Press OK to reboot the device to safe mode.
For the Samsung device, do the following:
- First power off your device.
- Keep holding the power button and you will see the Samsung logo on the screen.
- Free the power button and press the volume up button and keep holding it. Then the device will be ready for the boot-up and safe mode will appear in the corner.
Now, after turning on the safe mode, do the following:
- First, go to “Settings”.
- You will find the “Apps” option, tap on that.
- Now select the Apps for which you are getting the error message.
- Tap on “App Permission”.
- Now slide on to turn on the permissions of that App.
Uninstall Screen Overlay Apps
If you are facing the error, then, force stop or uninstall the unwanted apps which are hardly used, as this may help you to solve the problem. You will also get some free space on your device. If an app is appearing on top of another app, then maybe your device is affected with screen overlay detected error. By uninstalling the apps which are causing the error, the issue can be solved.
Turning off Screen Overlay of all Apps
- First, go to the “Settings”.
- Tap on the “Apps” option.
- Then tap on the three dots at the right side corner.
- You will find an option, “Draw Over Other Apps”. Select it.
- Then, select the “Show System Apps” option.
- Now the screen overlay is turned off for all apps.
Turning off screen overlay is different Samsung devices.
- First, go to “Settings” and open it.
- Tap on the ‘Apps” option and go to “Application Manager”.
- You will find “More” option in the corner of your screen. Click on that.
- There is an option “Apps that can Appear on Top”. Select it.
- Then again go to “More” option and click on “Show System Apps”.
- Now you will find a list of Apps with Screen Overlay activated.
- Deactivate Screen Overlay for all the Apps.
Now deactivating screen overlay for Samsung device is done.
If the manual solutions are not working properly for your device then you can go for an App-based solution.
There is an application named “Install Button Unlocker”. It is used to unlock the install button, which the screen overlay error has caused. After installing and activating the app, it will ask permission to have access to other apps to remove the error. After the activation, retry all the applications which were showing the error message and ensure whether the error is removed or not.
There is another App called Alert Window Checker to check the overlay permission.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.