Several factors can instigate your Samsung Galaxy S9 to heat up. Usually, smartphones become hot gradually when the processor becomes exhausted due to the constant loading of heavy applications or multitasking. It is quite normal for the device to become warmer than usual while using the phone extensively for long hours, due to common reasons.
A similar thing can happen when you try to charge the device. However, if overheating gets beyond control; or you cannot hold the phone due to excessive heat, you have to pay attention to the problem, and start looking for remedies right away. One of the most prominent reasons for the device to become heated unnecessarily is malicious software updates. This problem can occur on several devices even if you have just got it from the store.
See also: How to speed up Samsung Galaxy S9
How to fix Samsung Galaxy S9 overheating issues
Removing the protective case
Even though it may not sound logical, the case is one of the reasons that lead to overheating problems on the phone. You can try to remove the case and see the difference.
- Try to remove the protective case of the phone now and then
- You can also try to remove the case while charging the phone.
Follow the rules of charging the device
A lot of people try to ignore the specifications of charging the phone, thinking that it would not cause any problem. However, the consequences force you to take the best course of action.
- Overusing the phone often drains the charge, and you try to charge it when it is in use.
- Try to avoid charging the phone when it is in use. If you continue doing it for a long time, you will cause more damage to the phone eventually and heat it often.
Frequent Software updates
Frequent software updates on the phone can lead to overheating issues. It can also change the phone settings without your knowledge. If this is one of the reasons for the phone to become heated too often, the chances are that the settings must have altered allowing the phone to function continually. You have to reset the settings and reconfigure the necessary options.
- You have to swipe up to a spot that is empty from the Home screen and open the tray of apps.
- Tap the settings, followed by the general manager.
- Scroll to tap the reset option.
- When asked for, you may have to provide the password of the device.
You have to tap the rest settings option again to confirm the action you have performed.
Refreshing the option of fast cable charging
Often, you get notified that the fast cable charging feature on the Galaxy S9 has been enabled on its own. It is a warning that the phone can become overheated when you allow this feature to function. The best you can do is to disable this feature so that the phone takes the usual time to charge. However, you can refresh this option for a couple of minutes by deactivating and then reactivating it.
- You can visit the settings.
- Choose the battery
- Tap on the feature of fast charging option
- Try to switch the toggle and put it on and off to refresh.
Soft resetting the device
When you activate the soft reset option, you will notice that the phone has shut down automatically along with the applications that run in the background.
- When you soft reset the device, you facilitate the memory space to free up, and the phone cools down as it does not use the resources as it was, before you performed this action.
- With the help of this step, you do not have to worry about losing the data as it remains safe and secure.
After acting as a soft reset, you have to check whether the heating problem in the phone occurs again or not.
Optimizing the option of optimized battery use
This is one of the unique settings of this phone, and it is useful as it does not allow third-party apps to use the battery excessively.
- You have to go to the settings and tap on the battery
- Choose the battery usage on your device
- After this, you have to tap on MORE to open another menu.
- Choose the battery optimized use
As you enter the submenu, you can choose all the apps to make sure that it is activated for all of them.
Checking the safety mode of the third-party apps
If the phone keeps on heating even after you have carried out a software update, you can blame the faulty app for overheating. You can try to run the app in the safe mode, to check whether it is the reason for overheating the device. If the issue cannot be noted in the safe mode, be sure that the problem is due to the actions of the third-party apps that do not run in the safe mode. Once you detect the problems on the device, you have to uninstall the apps or cut the access of the device to the third-party apps.
- You have to press the power button on your device at first.
- Try to hold on to this button until the Reboot to Safe Mode option appears on the screen.
- You have to tap on the option until the phone restarts.
Once you enter the Safe Mode, you can keep it for several hours or days to check whether it can stop the problems of overheating the device.
Updating the software
You might not prefer updating the software of the applications installed on the device. However, this is one of the issues leading to the problem of overheating the phone. Ideally, the software updates remove the old bugs from the previous software. If you do not resolve these issues, it can overuse the resources making your phone very hot now and then.
- Go to the settings and select the option of the software update.
- Try to check for the available updates.
Wait until the scanning process begins and choose the Update Now option to switch to the latest version of the software for the applications.
Performing a factory reset
Initiating the factory reset option on the phone will delete everything present on the device, including the settings that have been set to remove the bugs or the faulty software. It is a very effective option and eliminates most of the problems of this Smartphone. However, you have to take a backup of all the files, videos, photos, and music to ensure that you get them back after the factory reset.
- Switch on the device and go to the settings option from the Home screen.
- Choose the User & Backup” from the options available.
- Select the factory data reset option.
- Put your PIN or password when asked to make sure that you are the owner of the phone.
- Choose the Delete All option.
- Wait until you finish the process.
When the phone restarts, you have to configure it from the beginning. Check if the problems still exist. If it does not go away, you have to take it to an authorized service center in your locality for more investigations.
Whether it is the impeccable features of the Samsung Galaxy S9 or the dazzling display and the wondrous functions, you are hardly willing to do away with the features of this phone. However, if the phone heats up frequently, you must try to carry out the steps one by one to check whether you can eliminate the issues of overheating the device.