Is your iPhone 4s display is not dim when it’s brought near to your ear when you are calling? It indicates something wrong with your iPhone proximity sensor. Proximity sensor is a sensor in iPhone which was introduced for the first time by Steve Jobs when the first iPhone was launched in 2007. Proximity sensor detects any object close to the screen and it’s used in iOS to make display sleep when you are doing a phone call and when your iPhone is attached to ear. This is one of the first important feature in iPhone which makes touch display of iPhone is not touched unintentionally when you are doing a phone call. This feature also aims to save battery life when you have a long conversation in your iPhone. Where your iPhone attach to your ear, automatically you don’t need touch display to navigate and it can be deactivated for a while. That’s the idea and all smartphones follow this way.
How if this proximity sensor is not working? of course it makes iPhone display remains lit when you are having a phone call and unintentionally touch the display or touch the mix feature so that your iPhone mix is mute and your friend will not able to hear your voice. It can be so annoying. Today, we want to share how to fix proximity sensor is not working on iPhone 4s and hope you can enjoy your phone call with comfortable without worry to touch he iPhone display.
Technobezz Disclaimer: Technobezz will not responsible for loosing data or hardware issue that might appear in doing this troubleshooting. Do it with your own risk. We will provide you with excellent methods but certain thing cannot be predicted. That’s why we recommend you to do this important steps first before you do the troubleshoot:
- Backup your iPhone 4s, See — Ultimate Guide How to Backup iPhone to Mac/PC because some steps can make you lose you iPhone data.
- If your iPhone 4s still covered by warranty, you have a full right to report your issue after you do a DIY method. Through a genius bar at Apple Store, make a phone call to Applecare or the nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider.
How to Fix Proximity Sensor is Not Working on iPhone 4s
Technobezz will divide the troubleshooting into 2 major methods which we call: Do It by Yourself (DIY) Method and Expert Method. You can do the steps in a sequence and check it whether the issue has solved or not yet. You don’t have to do all the steps if the issue has been solved.
Do It Yourself (DIY) Method
- Try to clean your iPhone’s display first.
- if you are having this issue after you use screen protector to your iPhone 4s, it can be that screen protector is interfering proximity sensor.
- Try to take your iPhone 4s case because maybe some of cases make the proximity sensor are not working well.
- Power off iPhone by pressing the power button for some times until Slide Power Off appears, then slide it to the right. Then Switch it on by pressing power button for seconds.
- Restart your iPhone by pressing and holding the power and home button until it restart.
- Erase all content and settings. Settings — General — Reset — Reset all content and settings.
- Restore iPhone in recovery mode or DFU mode. To take your iPhone to recovery mode: Plug iPhone to Mac/PC then launch iTunes. Hold down power button and home button until the iPhone restarts and when Apple logo starts to appear, release the power button but keep on pressing the home button until iTunes sign and cable lightning on your iPhone 4s screen are appear.To take your iPhone 4s to DFU mode: plug iPhone to Mac/PC then launch iTunes. Hold down power button and home button until iPhone restarts. Count until 5 seconds and release power button but keep pressing the home button. If it succeeds, your iPhone screen will remain dark but iTunes will detect your iPhone 4s in recovery mode. Choose restore and iTunes will download firmware that is need and restore your iPhone 4s to factory setting.
Hardware checking and troubleshooting
If you have done the iOS troubleshooting but you’re still facing the issue and if your iPhone 4s is still covered by warranty, Apple will give a replacement for your iPhone. This is a typical service to fix iPhone 4s proximity sensor is not working, a replacement to the new one. They will not do a hardware troubleshooting inside or replace certain part. For you who are curios and have read our disclaimer, we will try to give you a general description of what you can do on hardware troubleshooting
try to replace power and cable sensor with known good part. To replace this part you need to remove logic board first, it is difficult steps, so i recommend you to refer to this guide. this is cable power and sensor part: