If you work with Microsoft Outlook, you must be aware about the terms – OST and PST. Offline Storage File (OST) is created when Outlook is configured with IMAP or Exchange server and stores a copy of the mailbox on the server on your local computer. This file allows you to access the mailbox, even when you don’t have an Internet connection
On the other hand, Personal Storage File (PST) is created when Outlook is configured using POP account. This file saves all the mailbox items, like emails, calendar events, contacts, etc.
Sometimes, situations arise that may require you to convert OST file to PST format, such as:
- Backing up your OST mailbox data
- Migrating to another Outlook account
- OST file is damaged
- OST files become inaccessible or orphaned
Below we’ve mentioned two methods to convert OST file to PST format – using Outlook options and using a specialized OST to PST converter tool. However, the first method works if Outlook is working and OST file is accessible. If you’re facing any issues accessing your Outlook or OST file is inaccessible/orphaned, you need to use the OST to PST converter tool, such as Stellar Converter for OST
Method 1 – Convert OST to PST using Outlook Options
You can use Import and Export wizard in Outlook to convert OST file data to PST format. Here are the steps:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Click on File and select the Open & Export option.
- Click Export/Import
- On the pop-up window, choose Export to a file, then click the Next button.
- On the pop-up window, you will be given two options. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst), then click Next.
- Choose the folder you wish to export. Make sure to check the Include subfolders check box. This way, all the data like Calendar, Contacts, and Inbox will be exported as well. Then, click the Next button.
- Click the Browse button to choose the location to save the PST file and check the Replace duplicates with items exported option.
- Click Finish.
Method 2 – Use a Specialized OST to PST Converter Tool
You can use a third-party tool, such as Stellar Converter for OST to easily and quickly convert OST file to PST format. The software can convert orphaned or inaccessible OST files to PST, with 100% integrity. It also allows you to save OST data in various other file formats, like MSG, EML, RTF, HTML, and PDF.
Follow the below steps to convert OST to PST by using the software:
1.Download and install Stellar Converter for OSTon your computer.
2. After you launch the software, click Browse to select the OST file. In case you cannot locate the OST file, click the Find button. Then, select the OST file and click Convert.
Your OST mailbox items will be exported to PST format.
Why Stellar Converter for OST?
The Stellar Converter for OST can help you to convert OST file to PST format faster and easier. Here are some benefits of using this software:
It only takes around 7 to 8 minutes to convert a 1 GB OST file to PST using Stellar Converter for OST. This software can convert a large size OST file without changing the original format. It can also convert encrypted OST file to PST.
Stellar Converter for OST has a simple user interface. Any user can use it to convert OST file to PST without facing any hassle. This converter software from Stellar is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 (32, 64 bit), and 2019.
The demo version of Stellar Converter for OST lets you convert OST file to PST and saves up to 10 emails per folder for free. This software converts files without changing the original hierarchy of folders and other items. However, to utilize the full functionality of the software, you have to purchase the license, starting from $79 per year.
Although you can convert an OST file to PST via Outlook Import Export wizard, this method does not work when the OST file becomes inaccessible and Outlook does not start or fails to connect to the Exchange/IMAP server. An OST to PST converter tool, such as Stellar Converter for OST, comes in handy in such cases. The software helps you convert mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, attachments, notes, tasks, etc., stored in the OST file to Outlook PST format.
It can convert OST files created by any Outlook version, without any file size limit. You can even export the OST file directly to an existing Outlook profile, live Exchange Server, or Office 365 account.