Does your job involve a lot of writing? So, you must be looking for a laptop that can help you in your job. While many laptops are available in the market, you might be confused that what will be the best fit for your writing job. The best laptop for writing should have some features such as a backlit keyboard, wide keyboard, etc. for comfortable and easy typing. So, here is a list of the best laptop for writers that are helpful for all kinds of writing jobs such as novels, notes, business proposals, books, etc.
See Also: Top best Smartphone of 2019
This is 2021, and no longer do writers use pen and paper to write their thoughts. A laptop is their writing pad now. The best laptops for writers give them so much more in terms of freedom and the ability to make corrections and go back and forth effortlessly and so on. If you are into any form of writing and are currently looking for a good laptop, you have arrived at the right place. Here are a few tips you would like to take into consideration while buying your laptop.
- Laptop Size: If you are generally glued to your seat while doing your writing work and don’t generally take the laptop out, a larger 15.6-inch laptop would be ideal. If indeed you travel around a lot with your laptop, then the size could be a little smaller, say 14-inches. You can always increase the font size to suit your vision.
- Weight: Once you decide on the size, the weight will correspondingly change. You should expect between 3 pounds and 5 pounds as the weight of the laptop.
- Processor: A regular Intel processor Core i7 or even the latest generation Core i5 will do for a laptop for writers. Choose the one you feel you will be comfortable using. This may even depend on which laptop you are currently using. There is no point in choosing a less powerful processor than the one you are used to.
- RAM: 8GB RAM should give you the comfort level of swift shuffling between pages and in other tasks. Less than 8GB Ram could be a compromise. Make your choice.
- Color: Since you are engaged in creative work, look for attractive colors among the laptops for writers lined up for you. Try and avoid the back and silver options if feasible.
- Battery: You would definitely need a long battery life when you are out with your laptop. The latest models have up to 8 hours of battery life. Check the details before ordering.
- Storage: You will have a higher storage requirement as all your work has to be saved for future reference. Printing and keeping a hard copy is a passé. You should feel comfortable with around 1TB of onboard storage.
- Backlit Keyboard: A backlit keyboard is quite useful for use in dark environments. After choosing your laptop model for writing work you can ask the seller to ship the machine with the backlit keyboard. It may cost a little more.
Top Best Laptops For Writers of 2021
Sticking to the Essentials
Lenovo Ideapad 320
It is an entry-level 15.6 inches notebook, powered by the 7th gen Intel Core processor, i5-7200U clocking at a speed of 2.5 GHz. The Ram is 8 GB DDR4 onboard and the storage is 1 TB 5400 RPM HD. The graphics card is the discrete NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, 4 GB. It operates on Windows 10 and includes an optical drive. The combo of RAM and GPU results in an above-average performance, though not exceptional.
The product dimensions are 10.2 x 14.9 x 0.9 inches and the weight is 5 pounds. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 pixels. This device is available in a platinum grey color coming with a protective finish and rubber detailing at the bottom to offer enhanced life to the device.
In short, overall performance is good and it is suitable for regular work, with a decent battery and keyboard. Build quality is average. It also features Dolby speakers that are optimized for audio and delivers clear audio without any distortion.
- Budget buyers who don’t mind a big, bulky laptop.
- Ideal for writers, as you can easily read text on the display clearly when looking straight at the screen, though all viewing angles are not good.
- Audio clarity is excellent and the resolution is good. So it is suitable for watching movies and videos.
- Suitable for those who want to multitask and run several programs at the same time.
Minimalist Design with a Capable Machine
Acer Chromebook R11 Convertible
It is pleasing to look at and can also be flipped 360 degrees to convert into a tablet. It offers a good grip, but mostly in plastic. The screen is 11.6 inches and comes with a display resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The keyboard is slightly recessed with textured chiclet keys. Below is a wide trackpad with enough space for palm rest. The dimensions of the Acer laptop are 8 x 11.6 x 0.8 inches and the weight is 2.76 pounds. It is powered by the Intel Celeron processor clocking at a speed of 1.6 GHz. This is combined with a RAM of 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM and a hard drive of 32 GB SSD. The graphics card is an integrated one using the Intel HD Graphics. It has one USB 3.0 port. You can also avail 100 GB of storage space free on Google Drive when you purchase this Chromebook.
It runs on the Chrome OS and you can access all standard Google apps.
- Those who are looking for a handy, budget laptop offering decent performance.
- Suitable for writers, students and others who mainly use Google Doc.
- Those looking for a fluid performance while typing out in Google Docs and multitasking.
Diverse Features in a Basic Configuration
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E470
This 14-inch laptop is powered by the Intel Core i7 7500U processor clocking at a speed of 2.7 GHz. It runs on the 7th generation of Kaby Lake Intel processor. The display screen is IPS technology with FHD and a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. The processor is combined with the Nvidia Geforce 940MX, 2 GB of Dedicated graphics.
The RAM is 8 GB and the memory speed is 2133 MHz DDR4 with a maximum of 32 GB and it has an HDD of 500 GB 7200 RPM. It is supported by the Windows 10 Professional 64 bit operating system.
The laptop has dimensions of 9.5 x 13.3 x 0.9 inches and it weighs 12.3 ounces.
- Those looking for an entry-level laptop offering good performance and battery life at a reasonable price.
- A good alternative to the more expensive 15 inches sibling, the ThinkPad E570
- The keyboard is big enough and offers good feedback, making it suitable for those who do a lot of typing.
High-End Features at Mid-Range Price
Asus Zenbook UX310UA
This is a 13.3 inches laptop with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is powered by the i7 6500U dual-core processor clocking at a speed of 2.5 GHz that can be boosted up to 3.1 GHz combined with a RAM of 8 GB and 256 GB SSD; 500 GB secondary of the hard drive. It has an integrated Intel HD 520 GPU and it is strong enough for old games but not for modern games. Being a laptop with good build quality, very little screen wobble and body flex; an excellent and responsive full-size chiclet-style type of keyboard, it is comfortable for typing and is fully backlit and can be used by writers even in the dark.
The dimensions are 12.7 x 8.8 x 0.7 inches and it weighs 3.2 pounds. As far as ports are concerned, the Zenbook UX310UA has 3 USB ports with one USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports. It also has a reversible USB 3.1 type C port for future-proofing. Besides, there is an HDMI port; a headphone/microphone port; a card reader slot and a DC power.
Battery life is average at about 4 to 6 hours of playback. Speakers are apt for YouTube videos but do not have much bass. It has very few weaknesses and can be considered one of the best in the budget, ultraportable laptops. It looks great and performs well. In short, it gives you a pricey look, with a stylish machine and combines this with the features befitting a workhorse.
- Those who are looking for a stylish laptop without breaking the bank.
- Those looking for a conventional clamshell laptop, without a 360-degree hinge or touchscreen.
- Those on the move, as they are lightweight.
- Good for office work; web browsing; video streaming; video editing; light gaming.
- Those who want to play less demanding games like Minecraft.
Leading the Pack with its Battery Life
HP Spectre X360 2 in 1
This is a 15.6-inch laptop that has 4K IPS technology screen display and is WLED backlit with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. It is powered by the Intel core i7 855OU, clocking at a speed of 1.8 GHz which can be boosted up to 4 GHz using the Intel Turbo boost. The RAM is 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) and this is combined with the NVIDIA GeForce MX150, a 2 GB dedicated graphics card. DDR4
The dimensions of the HP Spectre X360 2 in 1 are 14 x 9.88 x 0.7 inches and the weight is 12.3 ounces.
As for the ports, there is 1 Thunderbolt 3; 1 USB 3.1 type C port; 1 USB 3.1 and one HDMI port. Also, there is a combined port for headphones and microphones. It comes with an active stylus called the Tilt Pen, which is rechargeable. The touchpad is responsive. The battery life is the best part. It lasts for hours, using several power-saving tweaks.
- Those who are looking for a cheaper, lighter and faster option to the 13 inches MacBook Pro
- Those who want to create and show presentations, as it can be flipped from its clamshell orientation to a tent style for presentations.
- Useful for those who want to use a laptop as a tablet as well
- Suitable for writers with a great keyboard for touch typing and the Tilt Pen which feels as natural as pen on paper.
- Also suitable for gaming, with the GeForce Now.
- Top choice for travelers with its excellent battery life and flexibility.
Light, Mobile and Sturdy
Lenovo ThinkPad T470S
It is light, small, and slim and comes with a 2K screen. The display screen is 14 inches FHD with a LED screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels with the island-like keyboard. The dimensions are 13 x 8.9 x 0.7 inches and it weighs 2.9 pounds. Though it is compact it comes with all the necessary ports. On the left is the power jack; one USB 3.0 port; one headphone jack; one SD card slot. At the right is one Thunderbolt 3 port; one smart card reader; 2 USB 3.0 ports; one HDMI output; one Ethernet jack; one SIM card slot.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T470S is powered by an Intel Core i7 7600U processor clocking at a speed of 2.8 GHz. It runs on the Windows 10 Pro operating system. The RAM is 8 GB and the hard drive size is 256 GB SSD. This is combined with the Intel HD Graphics 620. It offers good security features with the TPM chip and vPro for maintenance. The touchpad is smooth with little friction. The TrackPoint, a pointing stick, offers accuracy while navigating. The speakers offer good sound. Battery life is decent enough, with 6 to 8 hours. Lenovo offers a lot of utilities on the ThinkPad T470S. It also has a Companion app, which is useful for running updates and so on.
- Those looking for a thin, light laptop with solid performance and a great keyboard with little bloatware
- Those looking for a compact laptop with a slender though sturdy frame.
- Those who want a sturdy laptop that can survive extreme temperature differences; humidity and vibrations.
- Suitable for those who type a lot, with keys being responsive and a pleasure to type
Other laptops worth buying
Best Affordable Laptop For Writers
If your budget is under $500, this piece from HP would be the best choice that comes packed with all the needed features required by a writer. Enough space for palm area, Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard disk storage, excellent battery life up to 7 hours are great for such a cheap price. It runs on Windows 10 operating system and the integrated graphics card makes playing games a fun here. The display is big enough which is 15.6 inches.
- Writers looking for a well-rounded budget-friendly laptop should go for this one.
- Suitable for writers who also happen to be gaming enthusiasts.
- Those who are on a budget and are looking for a high-performing laptop would benefit from investing in it.
- People who would want to consume video content on a sharp, high-resolution screen.
Best Laptop For Writers With Great Performance
ASUS ZenBook UX303UA
Probably the best laptop for writers and more prominently it is the perfect fit for the full-time writers. Whether it is about writing a novel or a book, loads of added excellent features make everything fun. Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, integrated graphics card, Windows 10 operating system are the specifications that help this gem to offer an excellent performance. 13.3 inch full HD display is very clear where you can enjoy every piece of video smoothly. The battery last for almost 7 hours.
- People who want to invest in a laptop that would offer a solid and durable build.
- The powerful processing unit makes it suitable for professionals to use it for regular work.
- Suitable for people who are particular about the look of their laptop as they get multiple colors to choose from.
- The keyboard offers good resistance and guarantees a comfortable typing experience for writers.
Best Laptop With Useful Software Packs
Samsung Chromebook 2
Weigh only 4.3 pounds this device from Samsung has a widespread keyboard which is just perfect for fast typing. It includes very useful software packs that help you manage your Android device on the web while you can easily transfer files and synchronize the to-do list with others in the team.
- Writers who work in a professional setup like a creative agency or movie studio.
- The minimal travel distance between keys gives writers a super-smooth experience while typing on the keyboard.
- The 720p webcam, along with a good sound system, makes it an ideal device to do video conferences on.
- The processor has proved to be energy-efficient and that makes it a good environment-friendly device.
Best Laptop For Professional writers
Microsoft Surface Book 2
One of the most expensive and extremely powerful laptops is the latest innovation from Microsoft. It costs more than $1000, so only professional writers can look for this laptop for their writing job. All the features are extremely helpful while the backlit feature is helpful for typing. The battery life is almost 12 hours and the display is packed with ultra-high-definition so videos are highly enjoyable in this gem. 6 different versions are available of Surface Book, so you can choose to go for the one that is the best fit for you.
- Writers who need a good backlit keyboard to work on.
- People who are willing to invest in a high-end laptop that provides value for money.
- Its strong battery life makes it ideal for writers who largely work in outdoor locations like a cafe or a coffee shop.
- Most suitable for people who engage in a large number of multimedia functions on their laptops.
Best Laptop With an Excellent Battery life
Dell XPS13 XPS13-9343 13.3-inch
Another best laptop to add in the list of best laptop for writers that is packed with all the high-end features. Intel Core i5 processor clocked at 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD storage are responsible for offering a powerful performance. The amazing design with all metal body made it a head-turn laptop having a 13.3-inc high-resolution display. But the most attractive feature is high battery life, yes it can last up to 15 hours.
- People who want to own a laptop that boasts of a superior and premium build.
- Those who need a compact and lightweight laptop that can be slipped into a bag and carried along easily.
- Writers would benefit from the long-lasting battery this device comes with.
- Suitable for people who expect good viewing angles in a laptop.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about the software on the laptops for writers?
The laptop is generally supplied with the Windows Home operating system. Some brands add a trial version of MS Office which will be valid for a month. There is no other software included. There have been some sporadic complaints of some laptop makers adding a lot of bloatware. You should be wary of this. Any other special software you need for your writing work, you should download and install.
Can I connect any external devices to the laptop for writers?
You should be able to connect devices depending on the kind of connectivity ports available on the laptop – for – writers you have bought/going to buy. There are USB ports and an HDMI port as well. Check the specifications. There is no fixed standard for connectivity. Each laptop manufacturer follows a separate style.
Can the laptop for writers be used for other purposes, like gaming?
The laptop for writers is just another device for many activities including gaming. However, not all games can be played on the laptop due to hardware constraints. Some issues with the keyboard may also crop up. Whatever light games can be played with the mouse can be played on these laptops.
Is there an international warranty available on laptops for writers?
You may be worried about international warranty since you travel a lot and if the laptop were to develop a snag when overseas, it could pose a challenge. Check with the seller and the laptop manufacturer if an international warranty can be included in your case. Many companies have this option.
Can the laptop be used for making presentations on large screens?
Yes, mostly all presentations can be made using the laptop. The laptop has to be connected to the LCD projector through an HDMI cable and the laptop’s display is then mirrored onto the large screen. You can use the mouse to keep changing the pages in your presentation or run a video.
Whether you are a poet, an essayist a blogger, or a fiction writer, you will have to digitize work and will need a laptop. Writers need screens that are bright and big and also easy to read. These are some of the best laptop options for writers, coming with excellent keyboards. The space between keys is important, so check out keyboard ergonomics while selecting a laptop for writing purposes. However, if you write a lot, it would be beneficial to go in for a separate, full keyboard. There are many lightweight USB keyboards available. You can also opt for a backlit keyboard for writing in low-light conditions.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.